Note taker: Christina Alonso
Discussion / Key Concepts / Quotes / Revelations / Highlights
What are some great Ice Breaker ideas?
Recommendations / Next Steps / Actions
- Ice Breakers can flop. Ex. Star Wars exercise.
- Don't assume people know movies, etc.?
- Take culture into consideration when you are planning/selecting an ice breaker
- If you can, learn about your team members and leverage that when selecting an ice breaker.
- Ice Breakers don't always have to be "happy." They can be deep and thought provoking.
- Ask open-ended questions to open up discussion.
Ice Breaker Ideas
- Everyone shares a fun fact about themselves
- Everyone states their moods in terms of the weather. i.e. sunny, cloudy, etc.
- Everyone says 2 truths and 1 lie about themselves. The others try to determine which one is the lie.
- Ask everyone to share: What animal would you be? (You can change animal to anything else you want.)
- Bananagram using Agile terms
- Marshmallow Challenge
- Line people up and have them all lift their right arms and reach over and grab someone else's right hand. Then have then lift their left arms and grab a different person's left hand. Now, they untangle themselves. You can time them and do it several times.
- Do the Wave (like the wave done at a sporting event).
- Have everyone create a mindmap of themselves and then share it with the others.
- You can create mindmaps using: work, home, vales, where do you live?, and family
- Mafia Game
- Create teams of 3. 2 people look at the 1 and infer as much information about the person just by looking at them.
- If you have virtual teams, you can: share a common trait you all my share and talk about it. ex. food
- What did you want to be when you were 5 yrs. old?
Resources you can use to learn about other Ice Breakers:
- Managing For Happiness (Book)
- Try to look up "Summer Camp games" for kids. You would be surprised at learn that some games can be used.